Creative Lab Residency
2020-21 Call for Submissions
Tue 22 October — Wed 11 December 2019
CCA Creative Lab
Every year, CCA seeks submissions from artists to explore new ideas and methods in the Creative Lab residency space.
Artists working in or exploring live art, contemporary performance, movement, new theatre, film, video, time-based media and interdisciplinary projects are invited to submit proposals to be considered for a CCA Creative Lab residency.
Applications are submitted electronically via the following online form, while supporting info (CV, images) are to be emailed to email@example.com
Creative Lab objectives:
• An opportunity for emerging and established artists to have time to develop new ideas, rather than focusing on the final outcome.
• To give artists an opportunity to show their investigations to the public and peers for feedback.
• To provide networking opportunities with other users of the building, including artists, cultural tenants and other CCA contacts.
The Creative Lab space at the CCA is a light and versatile room approximately 7m x 11.7m. Support for four out of ten of our Creative Lab residencies can include the use of a small residential studio apartment with a double bed. The apartment has availability in July 2020, December 2020, January 2021 and April 2021. Technical assistance for sound and lighting can also be requested. Applicants should make it clear in the submissions if their Creative Lab would depend on technical or other provision. CCA has £500 allocated for each four-week Creative Lab, or £250 for a two-week residency (which should cover any production or technical costs for in-progress showings etc).
Dates: ten slots, up to four weeks each
The time slots for the Creative Lab space are on a fixed diary. Please let us know your preferred month from the list and we will notify you of the closest available slot. Please also indicate whether your require use of CCA’s apartment.
Applications from artists based in Scotland will be particularly welcome. The overall selection aims to find a balance in gender, age, artistic content, contemporary discourse and media. The applications are reviewed by CCA's programme team: Alex Misick, Programme Coordinator; Viviana Checchia, Public Engagement Curator; Sabrina Henry, Assistant Curator; Claude Chan, Arts Intern and Francis McKee, Director.
• Time spent must be on the development of the artist's own, original work.
• Creative Lab time is for research rather than rehearsal time.
• We are primarily looking for artists who are unable to easily fit traditional categories such as theatre, poetry, dance, etc. The focus is on the contemporary artist who specialises in the realisation of ideas, rather than pursuing a specialism.
• Artists will usually be encouraged to share their work in a format to be discussed with CCA, such as an open studio day, an artist’s talk, or a work-in-progress performance.
• Artists must also help with evaluation and provide appropriate documentation of their Creative Lab.
• Artists must conform to CCA’s Health & Safety rules and regulations.
• Equal Opportunities will be employed in the selection of these labs in line with CCA’s policies.
To submit a proposal:
Proposals for the Creative Lab for the period July 2020 – April 2021 have now closed.
Applications for 2021-22 will open in November 2020. In addition to a written submission about the project, applications should also include the following:
Please then send us the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
1) An up to date artist CV, as a PDF document.
2) Supporting material: up to eight clearly titled images of your work either as PDF document, or as individual files to email@example.com
3) If appropriate to your practise (for example that your work is moving image or performance based) no more than four clearly labelled hyperlinks to video and/or documentation listed in a PDF document. Please note that this is optional.
If you would prefer to submit in an alternative format, have any queries in relation to the process or if we can make it any easier for you to apply please don't hesitate to get in touch.