Creative Lab Residencies 2019/20 Call for Submissions
Wed 24 October — Wed 12 December 2018
CCA Creative Lab
CCA Creative Lab Residences 2019/20
Call for Submissions: Deadline, Wednesday 12 December 2018, 6pm
The Centre for Contemporary Arts in Glasgow invites submissions from artists to explore new ideas and methods in the Creative Lab residency space.
Artists working in or exploring live art, contemporary performance, movement, new theatre, film, video, time-based media and interdisciplinary projects are invited to submit proposals to be considered for a CCA Creative Lab residency.
Creative Lab objectives:
• An opportunity for emerging and established artists to have time to develop new ideas, rather than focusing on the final outcome.
• To give artists an opportunity to show their investigations to the public and peers for feedback.
• To provide networking opportunities with other users of the building, including artists, cultural tenants and other CCA contacts.
The Creative Lab space at the CCA is a light and versatile room approximately 7 m x 11.70m. Support for four out of eleven Creative Lab residencies can include use of a small residential space to sleep one person. The flat has availability in July 2019, December 2019 and March 2020. Technical assistance for sound and lighting can also be requested. Applicants should make it clear in the submissions if their Creative Lab would depend on technical or other provision. CCA has £500 allocated for each four-week Creative Lab, or £250 for a two-week residency (which should cover any production or technical costs for in-progress showings etc).
Dates: ten slots, up to four weeks each, May 2019 – April 2020 (excluding November 2019)
The time slots for the Creative Lab space are on a fixed diary. Please let us know your preferred month from the list and we will notify you of the closest available slot. Please also indicate whether you require use of CCA’s artist flat – this is only available in July 2019, December 2019 and March 2020.
Applications from artists based in Scotland will be particularly welcome. The overall selection aims to find a balance in gender, age, artistic content, contemporary discourse and media. The applications are reviewed by CCA's programme team: Alex Misick, Programme Coordinator; Viviana Checchia, Public Engagement Curator; Ainslie Roddick, Curator; and Francis McKee, Director.
• Time spent must be on development of the artist's own, original work.
• Creative Lab time is for research rather than rehearsal time.
• We are primarily looking for artists who are unable to fit easily into theatre, poetry, dance as traditional categories. The focus is on the contemporary artist who specialises in the realisation of ideas, rather than pursuing a specialism.
• Artists will usually be required to share their work in a format to be discussed with the CCA, such as an open studio day, an artist’s talk, or a work-in-progress performance.
• Artists must also help with evaluation and provide appropriate documentation of their Creative Lab.
• Artists must conform to CCA’s Health & Safety rules and regulations.
• Equal Opportunities will be employed in the selection of these labs in line with CCA’s policies.
To submit a proposal:
Please fill out and submit your proposal via the electronic form in the below hyperlink followed by emailing further supporting material which is listed below.
Creative Lab – Submission Form 2019/20
Use this form to describe the work you would like to investigate, including the conceptual basis, content, art forms used, and how much time you would need.
Please then send us the following to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
1) An up to date artist CV, as a PDF document.
2) Supporting material: up to 8 (eight) clearly titled images of your work either as PDF document, or as individual files to email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
3) If appropriate to your practise (for example that your work is moving image or performance based) no more than 4 (four) clearly labelled hyperlinks to video and/ or documentation listed in a PDF document. Please note that this is optional and not a requirement.
If you would prefer to submit in an alternative format, have any queries in relation to the process or if we can make it any easier for you to apply please don't hesitate to get in touch with email@example.com
Part of Creative Lab Residencies